Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Who is Alfie Boe?




My dear friend, Lisa Luisa Saxon wrote an essay after attending his first Alfie Boe concert. I'd like to share, because both she and her writing remain things of beauty to me:

By Lisa Saxon
Pacific Palisades, Ca.
Journalism teacher and former award-winning sports writer

I get it now. I really get it.
After Alfie Boe finished his soul-penetrating rendition of "In My Daughter's Eyes," at last night's benefit concert at Utah Valley University, I was on my feet -- giving him a well-deserved standing ovation. My dear friend Claire and my new friend Cheryl smiled broadly. In that moment, she knew I had been "Boe'd."
To be "Boe'd" -- it is not a noun, a verb, or a gerund. It is an interjection, a surge of warm love, an epiphany that affirms that we all are interconnected. Music does that. Alfie's music does it better, taking all of us on a spiritual journey that elevates us to a place far above whatever is troubling us, a place where we can separate ourselves from the chaos, disappointment, loneliness or hurt that can leave us paralyzed, indifferent, or worse.
Who is Alfie Boe?
He is a father, a kind soul, and a force who just brings people together. Claire and I have been friends for more than 30 years; we met while covering Major League Baseball in the early '80s. Our lives wound up taking us in different directions, until one day Alfie wound up bringing us together again. Claire posted on Facebook that she was heading somewhere to attend an Alfie concert. A few seconds after I "liked" the comment, Claire sent me a private message inquiring if I knew Alfie. My response was simple: I do not know him, but I know his music. And as the tears tumbled down my checks Saturday night, I came to know the real power of that music. When he sings, we heal. When he sings in concert, we find ourselves surrounded by others who have healed, are healing, or are waiting to be healed.
There are songs that speak to me at different levels. But I know that every song speaks to someone, which is why I was so happy when he boldly ventured off and recorded new songs, each of which surely will speak to someone somewhere the way "In My Daughter's Eyes" touches me. I hope he continues to take creative risks and record the music he feels he needs to sing.
Yes, I have been Boe'd, and I never want to limit that powerful, soulful voice to the place where it connected with me. He is on a journey. Let him take that voice to wherever it is that it needs to go, to wherever someone else is positioned to be "Boe'd."


2 comments:

  1. Beautifully stated...I feel very much the same way. I was in Utah, also, and had tears in my eyes several times. I feel very fortunate to have discovered the music of the amazing Alfie Boe.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy. I never know which song will cause the tears to flow, I just know that one will definitely move in and through me in a way that will unleash emotions. Often, I cannot even articulate why. That’s how Alfie works. That’s how he moves me.

      Delete